Yesterday I had the pleasure of teaching a workshop in Midkent College about How to Be Yourself Online and why (if it is) important to have an online personality.
It was refreshing to work with the students and the lively discussions threw up many points which I think are applicable to anyone online, whether you have a blog, a business, or just a Facebook account.
Points such as:
- Why you should stay true to what you believe in when you write
- How sarcasm and tone of voice are difficult to convey when writing
- Why writing can give you more confidence than talking in person
- Why it’s harder for people to knock you down if you’re not embarrassed about your published content
- How everyone has a skill that is useful to someone else
- How previous personality traits thought to be weaknesses, can be turned into strengths online
The students were absolutely fantastic and sent me away with plenty of ideas. Their class lecturer Mr. Steve Keevil has a talented bunch on his hands!
I just hope they’ll have me back.
I’ve modified the course materials that I used yesterday to make it applicable to online businesses and you can download it for free here: