Well this Hot Thursday, I have a real treat in store for you.
Last night after getting back from my Lindy Hop dance class I interviewed Laura Roeder from Roeder Studios about how she’s used content marketing to increase exposure for her business and become known as the number 1 go-to-gal for social media marketing in a very short space of time.
It’s only 20 minutes, but Laura is to the point and packs this interview with practical actionable items that you can apply to start getting results in your own business. What’s more, these all apply when using content marketing for small businesses.
You can listen to the interview by clicking on this link: How To Use Content Marketing To Grow Your Business
I recommend making a hot beverage and sitting down to listen to this, but if you are in a hurry and want to know the gist of what was said, scroll down below…
Okay, so the things we covered in the interview:
What Is Laura Up To These Days?
At Roeder Studios, Laura provides training in DIY marketing and marketing through social media for those who can’t afford expensive agencies.
In addition to that, today she launches, along with Marie Forleo the Rich, Happy and Hot B-School which is aimed at providing nuts and bolts marketing in an 8 week programme for female entrepreneurs. After seeing a gap in the market tailored towards marketing strategies for women, Marie and Laura use their sass and know-how to educate in a funky and fun way.
You can check out details of the course here, (affiliate link) registration opens today and closes in a few days.
How Did Laura Get So Famous So Quickly?
Laura used a lot of content marketing to promote her business. Content marketing is any kind of published content which “markets” your business through increased exposure or by positioning you as the expert in your field for example. This could include writing a blog post on someone else’s site, putting out regular blog posts on your own site, having a newsletter or sharing content through social media sites like Twitter.
For Laura, her starting point was launching her newsletter “The Dash.” The reason it worked so well for her was that:
- It was something she could stick to. Each issue is under 200 words and is a small, actionable marketing tip
- She runs from an editorial calendar so she’s never surprised or having to come up with content at the last minute.
Another strategy she used was…
Guest Posting Tips
Laura was also very prolific in creating content around the Internet on other people’s blogs. When you write an original article to be published on someone else’s site, it’s known as a “guest post” as you are a guest on their site. Laura used this strategy a lot to build the exposure to her business and she still recommends it for people to do today. In particular she gives us these tips.
- Always be pitching yourself, don’t wait to be asked or wait to be “good enough” – you’re good enough now!
- When pitching, focus on what you can bring to the audience, not what you can get out of it
- Spend time researching the site you want to pitch to (even if it’s a few minutes)
In addition to writing for other people, Laura also shared her own…
Blogs are a great way to gain exposure online for your business, and Laura gives us these tips:
- Write content that ties directly to the products or services you offer – this is good for SEO (increasing your chance of being found in search engines)
- Don’t write content for your peers, write for your customers, even if that seems like you’ve covering very basic details
There’s a lot more in the interview so do listen if you have time!
Where Can You Find Laura
You can check out Laura’s site and her programs here: http://www.lauraroeder.com/