2 years ago today I left my job to set up Harrisonamy Copywriting and work for myself.
I know that I’ve broken a copywriting rule by talking about me in the first sentence and I hope you’ll forgive me. 🙂
So, my business is officially a toddler and I’ve definitely been watching it wobble and take a few bumps and tumbles here and there. Looking back they’ve been fun bumps but at the time there was a lot of doubting, and a lot of
“Can I really raise this the way I want it to be?”
But then there have been those tiny breakthroughs. A heartfelt thanks from a newsletter reader, humbling reviews from eBook customers, and getting to work with people who are amazingly passionate and gifted in their area of business.
If I’ve learned anything that might help you in your business it would be the following:
- Don’t worry if you don’t have your niche or USP nailed down from day one – it will evolve
- The more action you take, the faster these things will evolve
- Invest in a good website but don’t worry about having a perfect website before you start working
- Spend time training and learning to be better at what it is you do
- Regularly ask for the things you want, even especially if you think you won’t get them
- Help other people when you’re being self-absorbed and focused on what you can “get”
- Don’t follow “gurus” if you can’t stand them and just want their success
- Fire clients who make you miserable
- Spend time with people who value you and what you are trying to do
- Celebrate the small stuff every day
I think the main thing I’ve learned though is that 2 years is young!
Even though that can seem like an eternity in Internet years, I’m getting better at remembering to stop, take a little look around and appreciate what is happening right now because once that moment’s passed, you can’t get it back.
Yes, always be growing and yes, have a clear vision of what you want to achieve, but realise that there’s magic happening right now.
Here’s to another year of learning!
Thanks Jim, so much is achieved with lots of small steps but they’re so easy to miss and forget how far we’ve come. If we’re taking action, if we’re learning, if we’re creating and responding we’re making small steps towards big things. 🙂
Hello and Happy Birthday to Harrisonamy Copywriting.
That’s a great list. Honest and to the point. You mention tiny breakthroughs and how important they are. I agree. It’s like learning to play a musical instrument. The tiny breakthroughs remind me I’m making progress.
thanks El! Sometimes it seems like forever and sometimes it seems like just yesterday. And no matter the bumps I wouldn’t swap it. 🙂
El Edwards says
Happy Birthday!! Sending you smiles and cake and much thanks. Your lessons learned are awesome. I especially loved the reminder to celebrate the small stuff. Here’s to many more happy birthdays. 🙂